Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Book Scans..Kooky Lady


This is my cover for my book. I wanted to use an ugly floral pattern that reminded me of something a older lady would actually find appealing and have as a bedspread or wall paper. I found this fabric and used it for a background. The lady pictured on the front is exactly who I picture when I think of a Kooky Lady. I used metal flower brads to add a tacky touch.

This is My perfume layout. I wanted to find older looking perfume bottles to help capture the old kooky feeling. I also found an old perfume ad that added a touch to the background element and I tried to use these sort of old, odd ads to get the feeling that usually older ladies are more kooky than young.

Jewelry: Old ladies usually have some pretty "fabulous" jewelry. I always think of big, colorful, heavy jewelry when I picture it on a kooky lady. My layouts are sort of random collage like layouts. I chose to do this because I feel in the mind of a kooky lady things would be chaotic and not organized.
Knitting: Kooky old ladies usually are very "crafty" so I used knitting as an object. For my labeling throughout the book I wanted to do a sloppy random handwriting, sometimes misspelled and corrected because older ladies sometimes misspell and have sloppy handwriting. 

1 comment:

jamie said...

Your justification for collage is appropriate and you've selected the spreads that best represent that here.

The "kooky" tone comes through in the selection of imagery, patterns and arrangement. The craft of the labeling, however, does not embody the same spirit. A more carefully crafted approach would have been more professional.