Friday, March 5, 2010

final statement for type

When first starting this project I was dealing with the underlying question of how mirrors reflect typography. My initial thought was to create a kaleidoscope but then I realized that it is not about having an actual kaleidoscope but more about the characteristics of one and what makes it interesting? When thinking about specific questions to base my experiments on I asked several but the ones I focused on were these: What are the principles of a kaleidoscope? How can these characteristics come through in typography? Can a letter that is fragmented create a more interesting pattern? What if there were transparencies or overlays? How do multiple typefaces and sizes of letterforms affect the pattern? What if these elements were set into motion?

Asking these specific questions allowed for my experiment to have multiple pieces to it. The things I was creating could be applied to print or motion graphics. The more I experimented the more I got into the form and character of what I was doing. This project seemed to really excite me about the things I was discovering. With every question I answered a new light was shed on the possibilities that this experiment held.

I learned that one simple question about typography can turn into this great end result. Type is no longer looked at in the same way. It takes on a more abstract meaning. It is not about if someone can read the message or letterforms being made. It is about the feeling of beauty you get when looking at this and then later realizing that they are constructed with type. I feel that this so called experiment has really opened my eyes to the possibilities that typography holds. I discovered it is not only about type and image and how you can make them work together but more about how you can make Image with type become one.

No comments: