Monday, November 9, 2009

before class progress...


My first stop in this project was doing some research...

My first source of resource was the understanding comics book by Scott McCloud. This book came in very handy for me on many levels. Not only does it explain the thought behind a narrative. It also made me realize this is how I wanted to set up my narrative for my book. Having a comic narrator tell you information scene by scene is more interesting to read even if it is text book information.


VISUAL:

this was simply for the character idea. If I were to design myself as a cartoon what would I look like?


This is the more traditional comic look. I really like the colors used in this strip and could see my comic taking on this rendering style.

I chose this visual for the animal characters. My narrator could be an animal. Sometimes they are more "cute" or funny to look at.
Again for the thought of what I would look like as a cartoon.

At first I thought I would come up with the design of this book. Then I realized I cannot really do that without a narrative to the story. So I have started writing the narrative for my comic book. I have also been doing a bunch of visual research and inspiration

n. I have a few questions remaining though before I began to design my actual book.

Sketched comic look V.S. All vector

Black and White V.S. color

Animal characters V.S. human

Myself as a cartoon V.S. a super hero for the comic theme


My Script...So far.

- Hi I am _____.

- We as humans interact with other people everyday.

- Our world is made up of several systems. It can be anything from the Solar system to our digestive systems.

- But have you ever thought of the way we interact or communicate as a system?

- Well… probably not, but I am going to explain the system of communication to you.

- Everything starts with a sender. The sender is the one with the thought or message.

- The sender wants to say, think, or express some thing or idea.

- This idea comes from what the sender believes or thinks. The sender is the author of this thought.

- For example in the child hood game of telephone, the sender would be the person starting the message.

-Or in the case of this book, I am the sender sending a message to you!

-Pretty simple right?

-RIGHT!

-Ok moving on…

- The next step would be the message.

- This is the actual content that the sender is sending out.

- It can be verbal or non verbal.

- It provides information, and is dependent on the context it is put in.

- It is a source to the person who will be receiving it.

- In our society today it can take many forms, which comes in channels.

- Referring back to the game of telephone, this would be what was whispered and passed around in the circle.

- In the context of this book it is anything I am telling you.

- Channels are the different forms the message can take.

- It acts as a transmitter used to convey the information from the sender.

- This can be many different things such as a telephone, computer, t.v., letter, even music.

- It would take a whole book just to list the different forms this could take.

- The people passing the message from ear to ear in the game of telephone act as a channel.

- The pages of this book are a channel to give the message to the reader.

- Do you get it?

- Noise is anything that can interrupt the message along the way.

- It can often impact the way we perceive the message and could possible alter the intent of the original message.

- Noise in the game of telephone could be the whispering , which may be too quiet to hear.

- It could even be music playing too loudly in the background.

- Noise while reading this book could be you cannot see well, or maybe the lighting in the room is too dark.

- Or maybe I am just boring you and you are getting tired.

- WAKE UP!

- The message has almost reached is point!

- The person receiving this message is, of course, the receiver.

- They then decode and interpret the message and evaluate their own idea or thought.

- In the case of telephone this is the last person in the circle who hears the message.

- In the case of this book, it’s you silly!

- Now quick evaluate what you are reading. Because it is time for feedback

- Feedback is what was processed from the message and gets sent back to the sender.

- Many systems have obvious input and output.

- In the case of the game telephone the feedback is what the last person says what they thought was heard.

- In the case of this book, it is what you are getting out of it.

- It could also be criticism on the book from others.

No comments: