Friday, September 3, 2010

New Area of interest

Ok, so after the class discussions today I found myself being interested in different areas than before. I realized that reading as a kid was something that was very important to me and something that I hold close to the heart. Reading goes way beyond education and the act of learning to read. It can spark creativity, create imagination, and be an outlet from the real world. A book can always take you into another world and take you away from anything that seems to be bothering you at that time. Also, with books people have a way to pick and choose what they read. They can read things that interest them. For example if someone wants to learn about eating healthy, or exercising they can get a book and learn from it. Books can also create community and bonding. People can compare, and share what they have read and grow a friendship or bond just by reading the same book as someone. Even a parent reading a book with their children helps to grow a connection with their parents. Books and reading to me is one of the most important things in a child's life.

So the fact that the community of Rosedale do not have a library to me is the problem. I feel that my target audience would be elementary school children. It is important to start the habit or passion for reading early in life. So this is where I would want to do research and learn what I could do to help out with this issue.

1 comment:

thenewprogramme said...

hey johnna, i really like what you said about making connections through reading -- kids and parents, adults with other adults. how all might these connections be made?