Sunday, February 7, 2010

experimenting phase: 1

For this first part of my experimenting I started off with the idea of just taking a basic serif letter and moving a mirror vertical and horizontally across. Then I did the same with a san serif and then with lowercase. I felt this was a good process because it gave me an idea of how the mirror works against a letterform and what ways you can hold the mirror to change the angle of the reflection. I started to notice patterns that the mirror could create with a single letterform. I also took notice in how a letter with no serifs looks differently. I don't really know where I am going from here but I have so many ideas now after this simple basic experiment.




2 comments:

thenewprogramme said...

some pretty unusual looking things in here. some, of course, are kind of predictable, but you gotta get through those. maybe you can pick out the ones that are most interesting and see what you did -- was it the angle of the mirror, the mirror's placement on the letterform, etc -- that made it a good study. then see if that's repeatable with other letterforms. to me, the ones that are the most abstract are more interesting. several nice and unusual ones in the l.c. helvetica "a".

thenewprogramme said...

oh -- i would also try a single letter centered on a large white sheet. that will eliminate the noise from the cut-out rectangle in your pics.