Thursday, February 4, 2010

reflective type


I would describe the kind of typography that I have been researching as reflective or vibrating in a way. The traits that it may hold include: It can create patterns or shapes and transform the original letterforms. There is usually some sort of color added to it to make the letterforms more vibrant. Some of the letterforms also deal with transparencies or overlapping. This is again usually done with color added to create more colors and levels that almost look 3-D although they lie on a flat surface. I think it is very interesting that there seems to be more than meets the eye if you study these letterforms. They make you think about what it is exactly that you are looking at. I love the mystery and somewhat random pattern of the type that I have been exploring. I have been researching and researching but I am not sure where exactly this type of style first began. There is no way I can tell that for sure. My guess to who is doing it may include people like me who are experimenting with typography. I picture this typography on a contemporary museum exhibit, or a poster for an event for a museum. The reason for that is because it can be very abstract, and perhaps the only people who may understand it or read it would be people who think creatively or are into art.

I feel that this type of typography is important because it pushes the normal. It makes the viewer ask questions. It is so experimental and unique that it may inspire other people to experiment and do something related. It lets people know that typography is and can be a form of art. It can be very personal to the person creating it. A letterform can express more than just trying to create a word. A letter designed in this manner that stands alone can express beauty and power all by itself. It is important also for the fact that it starts a path to experimenting and hopefully will lead other designers, students, or even someone who has no interest in this field to experiment and be creative.

I hope that in my experimenting I inspire someone to look at the world differently than they would have before. I want them to look at what I have created and want to create something like me. I think it is very important to look at other peoples work for inspiration. We as artists and designers can feed off of each others creativity and create amazing things, to me this is such a beautiful thing.
I have decided to experiment with mirrors and the patterns that they can create in a device such as a kaleidoscope. Some questions that I have been asking myself and considering are listed below:

- What If one single, large letterform was in view. What angles or pattern could it create by itself?
- What pattern could be created with multiple small letters ( all of the same letter) ?
- What if they were all different letters?
- What would be the difference in controlled static letterforms, or letterforms that were able to move and float around at random?

My main goal in this kaleidoscope is being able to let the viewer interact with the project and experience my experiment hands on. It could be as if they too were help in the experiment.

No comments: